Additional Learning Support
Shrewsbury College is committed to providing a quality learning experience for all students and we will use our best endeavours to enable access to the curriculum.
- Specific Learning Difficulties (Dyslexia, Dyspraxia, Dyscalculia, Autism or Asperger’s Syndrome)
- Physical and sensory impairments, support for visually impaired learners, support for hearing impaired learners an also support with mobility issues arising from Dyspraxia/ Developmental Co-ordination Disorder”
- Mental Health
- Medical conditions (guided by advice from external agencies)
- Study skills
Support can be available in various forms:
- Specialist Support Sessions
- Small group support sessions
- Assistive Technology
- ‘My Study Bar’ software
- Reading pens
- Augmented reality
- Telephone support
- Email support
- Hearing loop
- Adjustable tables
- Ergonomic mice and keyboards to accommodate difficulties with motor skills
- Bring your own device (students are encouraged to use their own assistive technology in lessons)
- One to one support for High Needs Learners
The College admissions procedure enables you to inform the college of your needs. The sooner you inform us, the earlier we can discuss and agree a support plan with you. There are several opportunities for you to tell us about your support requirements:
- on the application form, by completing the section asking you to declare a learning difficulty or disability
- By discussing your support needs at your interview with your tutor
If you do not inform us during the admissions process you will have the chance to inform us at enrolment but this will potentially delay the support arrangements being agreed and provided. If a need arises during your course, informing us will enable support plans to be agreed.
At all the College advice events there is always someone available from the Additional Support team to discuss your queries. If you require further support please ring Student Services on 01743 342322 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Support is also available for Higher Education Students studying at Shrewsbury College - please find the link to student DSA costs here.