We offer a flexible Enrichment programme available throughout the College week at all campuses, which has been developed in conjunction with students and is based on 8 key themes:
- Sport and wellbeing
- Employability and CareersEnterprise, including Young Enterprise Challenge
- 21st Century technologies
- Academic Enrichment including Oxbridge and Medical Societies
- Music & Drama.
Various events are scheduled throughout the year including Careers Week, Job Fairs, and Higher Education Events to ensure you have information about your career choice. Whether it’s university visits to help you decide on the right course or our annual visit to the Skills Show at Birmingham NEC for careers inspiration, our programme of careers visits has something for everyone. Students can also gain nationally recognised awards for volunteering hours through our V-Inspired online portal.
Sport & Recreational Activities
We have a range of teams and different activities for you to try especially on Wednesday afternoons, (which are also available throughout the week), including:
- Local, regional and national competitive team sports against other schools and colleges, including football, rugby, volleyball, hockey, netball and in the summer, cricket
- More informal recreational activities available after College
- The Duke of Edinburgh Gold Award, which involves independence, camping and walking in the hills
- Enrichment sports including rowing, basketball, squash, badminton, table tennis, archery, boys/girls football, rock climbing and the Tennis Academy
- Enrichment physical activities including the use of the Fitness Suite, circuit training, aerobics, contemporary dance and street dance/Zumba
- Learning to save a life by taking your Emergency First Aid Certificate
- Getting involved in volunteering in sport and officiating our team sports
- Setting up your own club or activity.
We also support other sports through entry into county and national competitions such as swimming, athletics and tennis.
Music & Dramatic Arts (MaDA) and Performing Arts productions
Based at English Bridge and London Road Campuses, there are many opportunities throughout the College year to be involved in, either as an individual performer or as part of an ensemble, band, chamber group, choir, cast, crew, tech team or club.
Events include a Christmas concert, a special anniversary concert, Celebrating Achievement Evening, a Bands’ Night and our Graduation Ceremony in St Chad’s Church. Groups include Voci Forti (an audition only Acappella choir), a College choir, concert band, orchestra, big band, chamber orchestra, four rock bands, a folk band, string quartet, dance workshops with Arcadian Youth Dance, amongst many others.
Various large productions are put on throughout the year - previously these have included “The Addams Family”, “Night at the Musicals”, “Aladdin”, "All Shook Up", “Guys and Dolls” and “Evita”. Instrumentalists and serious vocalists interested in performing in any of our main ensembles should sign up to our unique ‘music activities’ course.
Instrumental and Vocal Tuition
Our long standing relationship with Shropshire Music Service means that they are able to offer a very competitive fee structure for lessons to all students and we fully support their mission to provide, develop and support the highest quality of music education in Shropshire. To further this ambition, SMS offer their own bursary scheme which supplements individual lessons by 10 minutes for instrumentalists or vocalists who are already performing at Grade 5 or above or who are part of a Shropshire Music Service ensemble. Tuition can be delivered either at College or, if using Shropshire Music Service, Longmeadow Primary School, Bayston Hill. There is a further bursary scheme for those students who chose to study A Level Music.
Welcome to Shrewsbury College Sports Academy programme. We see sports as a vital part of the learning cycle and believe it plays a significant role in maintaining and growing the student’s interest in sport and physical activity, as well as providing opportunities for them to meet new people and try out new sports.
Shrewsbury Colleges Group has invested in giving all students over the three campuses the opportunity to take part in sports. Students play every Wednesday, representing Shrewsbury Colleges Group in the categories below.
- Shrewsbury Town F.C BTEC Team
- Men’s Football 1st Team
- Men’s Football 2nd Team
- Men’s Football 3rd Team
- Females Football Team
- Men’s Basketball Team
- Netball 1st Team
- Netball 2nd Team
- Mixed Hockey Team
- Mixed Volleyball Team
- Men's Rugby Team
- Females Rugby Team