Roland Music Academy
Shrewsbury College is part of a specialist academy group of colleges in the UK and the only one of its kind in Shropshire. Our Roland Music Academy was launched in September 2009 and has grown to include three recording studios, three production suites and the latest industry standard recording software.
The academy also boasts dedicated rehearsal spaces, numerous electric, acoustic and bass guitars along with effects pedals and amplifiers, loop-stations, drum machines, synthesisers, portable recorders and stand-alone hard disk recording units.
We have a proud record of our students progressing to university after completing a course here; every student who has applied to university has acquired a place at one of their options. Our links with two leading Music Technology universities also mean we have taster days organised for our students.
Our recording studios currently offer the following, with two brand new facilities to be launched very soon:
- Professional studio booths and control rooms
- Hi-Spec PC’s running ProTools 11 recording software
- Roland and M-Audio Professional Studio Monitors
- M-Audio Interfaces
- Roland, AKG and Shure Professional microphones
- Professions guitar and keyboard Amplifiers
- Roland Guitar Effects processors and acoustic drum kits
- Portable recorders
3 Production Suites
Each suite is tailored to developing skills in audio creation and production.
- ProTools 11, Cubase 5 and Reason 8 software
- Roland SH201 synthesisers and loop-stations
- Roland Dr Rhythm Drum Machines
- V-Drum Suite
- 4 TD9KX V-Drums
- Numark NDX500 CD DJ Turntables
- Numark Vinyl Turntables
Live Sound System
As part of the course you will be involved in music event organisation and live sound. You will be taught how to safely set-up, sound check and run a live sound system in College and selected venues around Shrewsbury. Our high specification sound system briefly comprises of:
- HK Audio Active Main and Sub Speakers
- DBX Quad Gate and Quad Compressor
- Lexicon Reverb and Mackie ProFX22
Workshops and Visits
- Industry workshops from Roland Artists
- Birmingham Symphony Hall
- Liverpool and London attractions
- Staffordshire and Wolverhampton Universities