Engineering & Construction Centre
Our new £4 million, state of the art Engineering and Construction Centre allows students to learn in a fully modernised environment and benefit from industry standard facilities which will help them to be employment ready.
Student’s views played a significant part in the design of the centre, which incorporates open plan workshops with large skylights and a vibrant colour scheme.
The building was designed using the ‘Building Research Establishment’s Environmental Assessment Method’ (BREEAM), which is a voluntary measurement rating for green buildings established in the UK.
To achieve its BREEAM status, the building automatically controls the heating and lighting and its energy usage is continually monitored.
The new roof and external walls are insulated in excess of building standards to ensure minimum heat loss during the winter and minimum heat gain during the summer. In addition, the new barrel vaulted skylights in the workshop roof now make better use of natural light.
The new self-contained facility includes:
- A dedicated Carpentry & Joinery machine shop
- A dedicated sculpture area for 3D Design students
- A design and ceramics studio
- A total of eight classrooms, two laboratories and a computer aided design training facility
- An Engineering workshop incorporating machining, fitting, sheet metal and welding bays
- A Motor Vehicle workshop
- Trade competence assessment area for electricians and gas engineers
- Large open-space training areas for electrical, plumbing and gas students, with 24 training bays
Development areas for rainwater harvesting, solar energy and fire suppression technology