The merger of Shrewsbury College of Arts & Technology and Shrewsbury Sixth Form College has led to the creation of The Shrewsbury Colleges Group and has resulted in a newly formed Board.
The governance pages of this website will be developed over the coming months. Key documents can be found to the right. The members of the Board can be found here.
The roles and responsibilities of the Board (or Governing Body) are many and varied. However, legally the main roles and responsibilities (as determined by the Instruments and Articles) are summed up as follows:
- the determination and periodic review of the educational character and mission of the institution and for the oversight of its activities
- approving the quality strategy of the institution
- the effective and efficient use of resources, the solvency of the institution and the Board and for safeguarding their assets;
- approving annual estimates of income and expenditure
- the appointment, grading, suspension, dismissal and determination of the pay and conditions of service of the holders of senior posts and the Clerk including, where the Clerk is, or is to be appointed as, a member of staff, the Clerk’s appointment, grading, suspension, dismissal and determination of pay in the capacity of a member of staff
- setting a framework for the pay and conditions of service of all other staff.
Other areas that are considered by the Board include:
- monitoring and evaluating the College's activities and services
- strategic planning of long term issues as well as the short and medium term
- involvement in the recruitment of other staff as well as senior post holders and the Clerk
- promoting the Colleges
- assessing the effectiveness of the Board (self assessment)
- ensuring compliance with legislation and policies adopted by the Board.
All Governors can only be contacted through the Clerk to the Governors – Janet Jones either telephone on 01743 235491 or by email firstname.lastname@example.org. Postal enquiries should be sent for the Clerk’s attention to:
Shrewsbury Sixth Form College
Welsh Bridge Campus